The Bastide Museum is dedicated to the “new-style” fortified towns which sprung up all over the south-west of France in the Middle Ages. The museum displays different panels explaining how bastides came about, as well as scale-models, audio and video guides, and educational tools for children. The museum also offers guided tours for school groups.
In Monflanquin, one of the most beautiful bastides in the South-West, discover above the tourist office the Espace Bastides, a Heritage Interpretation Centre devoted to the phenomenon of the new towns of the Middle Ages which appeared in the South-West of France between the 13th and 14th centuries.
Explanatory panels, models, teaching aids and a fun trail for families will enable you to discover the modernity of these new cities with their chequered plans, equipped with a charter of customs initiating a different organisation of medieval society.
For groups, a guided tour of the museum can be arranged by reservation.
The Museum also offers an Escape Game on the theme of the bastide of Monflanquin, available all year round by reservation.
- In April, May, June, September and October: open from Wednesday to Saturday, from 9.30am to 12.30pm and from 2pm to 5pm (except on public holidays).
- In July and August: open from Tuesday to Friday, from 9.30am to 1pm and from 2pm to 6pm.
- Closed from January to March and from November to December except for groups.
- Open all year round for groups, by reservation.
- Exceptional opening for the weekend of the European Heritage Days and for the Festival of Saint Andrew in Monflanquin (1st Monday of December and the weekend before).
Pram-friendly Room to eat own food Shop Wifi
French - English
Payment cards - Cheques and postal orders - - Cash
Full price: 4 euros per adult.
Reduced rate : 1.50 euros for children aged 12 to 18, students, jobseekers with proof of entitlement.
Free: under 12 years old.
Groups of 12 or more: 3 euros per adult.